18 years old. Liberal arts academy as a language major. Founder and President of the Harry Potter Club.
Will include: Sherlock, Supernatural, Teen Wolf, Doctor Who, Elementary, and many more.
White Chocolate-Strawberry Pie
Slightly adapted from Ken Haedrich’s “Pie”
Makes one 9-inch pie (8 servings)
- 1 GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMB CRUST (RECIPE BELOW) OR 1 SMALL STORE-BOUGHT GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- 3/4 CUP WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- ONE 8-OUNCE PACKAGE CREAM CHEESE (REGULAR OR LIGHT), SOFTENED
- 5 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
- 1/3 CUP PLAIN OR VANILLA YOGURT (REGULAR OR LIGHT)
- 1 QUART (1 1/2 POUNDS) FRESH STRAWBERRIES, RINSED AND PATTED DRY
- 1/2 CUP WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- Prepare the crust according to the recipe below (or prebake your store-bought crust according to package directions). Let it cool, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the Filling: Put the white chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler set over, not in, hot water. When the chips are shiny, 7 to 10 minutes, stir well until smooth. Remove the insert from the double boiler, and set aside to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Gradually add the sugar, and continue to beat.
- When the white chocolate has cooled to body temperature, add it to the cream cheese. Blend until evenly mixed.
- Add the yogurt, and blend until smooth.
- To Assemble the Pie: Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the chilled pie shell, and smooth it with a spoon. Cover with loosely tented aluminum foil, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Sort through your strawberries, and pick out as many same-size berries as you can find. Hull them, and take a very thin slice off the stem end (so you’ll eventually be able to stand them upright on the pie filling).
- Arrange the berries in a single layer on top of the filling, cut sides facing down. Refrigerate.
- For the Garnish: Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave. Let cool, then spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a fine tip. Pipe a thin drizzle of white chocolate over the pie in any pattern you choose. Serve immediately, or cover with loosely tented aluminum foil and refrigerate until serving, preferably less than 1 hour.
Note: If you don’t have a pastry bag, spoon the melted white chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag, and push the chocolate to one corner. With sharp scissors, snip a very small hole in the corner, and use it as a pastry bag.
Graham Cracker Crumb Crust
Makes one 9-inch pie
- BUTTER, FOR GREASING PIE PAN
- 1 3/4 CUPS GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS (MADE BY GRINDING 12 WHOLE CRACKERS)
- 2 TABLESPOONS FIRMLY PACKED LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- 1/2 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- BIG PINCH OF SALT
- 6 TABLESPOONS (3/4 STICK) UNSALTED BUTTER, MELTED
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9-inch standard pie pan, and set aside.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Mix briefly with your fingers. Add the butter, and incorporate well, mixing first with a fork, then with your hands, rubbing thoroughly to form evenly dampened crumbs.
- Spread the crumbs evenly and loosely in the pan, pressing them into the bottom and up the side. Refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place on the center oven rack, and bake for 7 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate the cooled pie shell before filling.